Same-sex marriage became legal in Florida earlier this year.
This also means that you can now get a same-sex divorce (or “gay divorce” as the media likes to call it) in Florida, even if your same-sex marriage was performed in another state or country.
Besides granting the benefits of marriage to same-sex couples living in Florida, what legalizing same-sex marriage has done is provide access to the court for same-sex couples wishing to dissolve their marriage, whether they were married in Florida or in any other state or coutry.
Before that, you had to look for a state that would recognize gay marriage and find out what you needed to do to get it done. This sometimes required one or the other of the spouses to establish a residence for a period of time before being able to file. I know couples that this happened to, and were kind of stuck with not being able to move long enough to satisfy the residency requirement.
Thankfully, you can now get a same-sex divorce in Florida just as easily and quickly as straight married couples.
It is not surprising that you will face many of the same issues as a any straight couple looking to get divorced. Dissolution of a same-sex marriage, a gay divorce, is no different.
These are the minimum or basic requirements for a gay divorce in Florida:
1. Either you or your spouse has to live in Florida for at least 6 months before filing the divorce.
2. Your marriage must be irretrievably broken, which essentially means one of you has decided to get a divorce because the marriage is no longer working for you for any reason.
From this point forward, you face the same questions as a straight couple:
- do you want a contested divorce? or
- do you want an uncontested divorce?
You can just as easily take advantage of the benefits of an uncontested divorce by starting the process online.
Below is the table comparing the benefits of an uncontested divorce vs. a contested divorce:
Compare Benefits of an Uncontested vs. Contested
|What will it take?||agreement between you and your spouse that you want a divorce||- lawyers
- a judge to decide
|How long will it take?||- can take about 3 weeks|
- can be started online
- calendar of judges and lawyers
- your ability to pay legal fees and costs
|What will it cost?||- flat fee|
- filing fee
|- usually a high initial retainer, along with hourly fees
- filing fees
- other court/legal costs related to litigation
|Bonus Benefit||-Less emotional stress|
-great for spouses who want to get along after the divorce, especially if there are kids
All of the information discussed in my home page about dividing property, debt, and making decisions regarding children of your marriage apply to you as well. You can go back and read more about it on that page.
This gay divorce online process helps you by:
- Not having to take off from work to go to an attorney’s office.
- No hassles, hiccups, or uncertainty getting it done because you get legal advice all through the process (it’s part of the service I offer for this divorce once you hire me).
- A flat fee divorce for the entire process, from divorce paperwork through the final hearing.
- Getting it done in 3 weeks from the date I open the court file
How to Start Your Divorce Online With Us
- Provide your contact information now.
- Check your email for the email that asks you to confirm that you in fact are asking me to contact you. I will contact you within 1 business day.
- Once we’ve discussed your situation and you’re sure this process will work for you, we start the process.
- Our fees are flat fees, plus the court’s filing fee, for the entire divorce process.
If you are ready to get more information about getting it done, then please complete this form, and I will contact you within 1 business day:
IMPORTANT: Please check your email to confirm that you requested me to contact you.